In the coming weeks and months, ATCO employees will be in our community as they start installing Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Radio Gateways and Meters. These upgrades are taking place across Alberta and will allow ATCO to continue providing customers with safe and reliable electricity service along with some enhanced features.
What is Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)?
AMI is an integrated system comprising smart meters, radio gateways that collect the meter read data, communication networks, and data management systems. It facilitates two-way communication between utilities and customers, offering a range of benefits:
· Remote power outage detection for quick response and restoration
· Additional energy management options for customers
· Digital meter reads, reducing operating costs for customers
· More accurate readings and fewer site visits with remote connect/disconnect capabilities
· Promotion of energy literacy and customer knowledge through increased data access via ATCO’s My Electricity App and compatibility with Home Energy Monitors.